Friday 22 November 2013

Recipe: SYN FREE Banana Pancakes

*** PLEASE READ: APOLOGIES! ***

I previously posted this saying it was syn free but have made a mistake because the banana is both mashed up AND cooked! Woopsie!
The syn value of a cooked banana is 5 syns unfortunately so these are NOT syn free but 5 syns for all of them (per banana). I am so, so sorry! They are still totally worth it, though.


(I would change the post title but the link wouldn't work anymore! Please make sure people know these aren't syn free, I don't want to be damaging or slowing down someone's weight loss!)


I was practically jumping around with joy (does that count towards my 'body magic'? Haha!) when I found out about this recipe. I've really missed pancakes and although I was a little sceptical at first, these do not dissapoint!

You will need:
* Frylight spray
* 1 or 2 ripe bananas
* 2 eggs

For the topping:
* Sweetener
* Fat free fromage frais (or yoghurt)
* Fruit of your choice - get some more superfree in there!



Step 1: Mash up the banana, beat the eggs and mix together. Add in a bit of sweetener if you wish.

Step 2: Spray pan with Frylight, pour in some of the mixture. (The mix should make about 3 medium pancakes) and leave on a moderate heat. Flip after 25-30 seconds.

Step 3: Repeat until you have used up all your mixture and serve. I sprinkled sweetener on top of mine and topped with fat free fromage frais, blueberries, raspberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon.



I had them for breakfast and they were SO yummy!
I hope you're as pleasantly surprised as I was.
This will also make a really nice dessert and I'm sure kids, partners etc will love them too. My boyfriend was drooling over them this morning! (If you fancy it, I'm sure you could add syrup or even mix in some chocolate spread as long as you syn it!)



(This is what they look like without the topping! Still pretty nice, eh?)

Feel free to share my blog around - this recipe is definitely going to be a new regular favourite of mine!
Enjoy!
x

12 comments:

  1. Hiya, I just want to query if these would be syns free as I thought all puréed fruit or when not eaten whole would have syns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, thanks for your question! I have run this past my own group consultant and she confirms it actually does need to be synned because the banana is technically being cooked in the frying pan and broken down in to sugars.
    All fruit in it's fresh or frozen state is free but dried, canned, cooked or pureed have syn values unfortunately!

    If it's any consolation, it's only on average 5 syns per cooked banana however it's still fruit and has to better for you than traditional pancake recipe ingredients!

    Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more queries x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this recipe is great, tried it this morning and it was lovely. But I am still baffled as to why the sw account puts mashed banana, or any fruit even, as syn worthy, when if I sliced the banana it would not be. surely if I put it in my mouth and mash it with my teeth it is still syn free! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because your body uses energy and burns calories in breaking down and digesting the sugars in the whole fruit.....if you do it outside the body then you are speeding up the absorbtion of the sugars.

      Delete
    2. because your body uses energy and burns calories in breaking down and digesting the sugars in the whole fruit.....if you do it outside the body then you are speeding up the absorbtion of the sugars.

      Delete
  5. Hi, do you know if they can made in advance and still be ok? Like if I made them today for tommorrow at work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. any fruit that is pureed or cooked and not eaten in its natural state, loses it's filling power that's why it is synned. When you are eating it you are chewing and you are getting the filling power more when a banana is not mashed

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cook the egg like a sweet omelette, when ready, I chop a banana on top whilst the omelette is still in the frying pan, add 2 tspns of Nutella, fold the omelette over and serve with a teaspoon of honey on top. The heat of the omelette melts the Nutella but the banana is not cooked - tastes amazing and you just need to syn the Nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you get them to bind? Mine ended up like scrambled egg :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mines was like scrambled eggs disgusting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made these this morning and they turned out fab

    ReplyDelete